Monday, April 16, 2012

Rockin' On

These days I'm occupied with a home-based full time position of Job Seeker. It often comes with long unpaid OT hours and feelings of  'I can't see any light at the end of this tunnel, dammit'. However there is no supervision or micromanagement from a higher authority and there is flexibility to manage tasks as I please. There is no need to dress up each morning to fit in with new trends in society. There is no need to walk to the station and fight for a place to stand while using public transport. There is also no need to make awkward small talk in the mornings with colleagues. Results and success, as I understand, are based purely on 1. one's own efforts and determination and 2. a resume that would get noticed among thousands of others and 3. other variables such as luck, probability, timing, prejudices of recruitment personnel.

I have more observations to add on the Singlish phenomenon. Perhaps I was too rude and insensitive the last time I mentioned it, a couple of blogs ago, so I elaborate more. It is a struggle for one to hold on to one's grammar and accents in a society that uses a different style. The most challenging part is to make yourself understood, and in the process most of us, might acquire bits of the local accent, unknowingly or unwillingly. Also I noticed that there is a distinct 'melody' in the Singlish accent that'll eventually creep up on one's sentence delivery. Sometimes, I think it's a personality thing. I know a few people who have lived here for years, yet speak without a traces of the local accent. And then I know many others, who have acquired it less than an year into their stay here. Nothing wrong with it, of course. I'm just an observer, for now.

I like train rides here. I dislike sitting on a 'reserved seat' because I can't fall asleep or take off my adrenaline induced alert-mode for fear that someone who is entitled to it might step into the train (yes, I know I'm selfish, but few like to give up on a cozy seat especially on a long ride or on a tiring day) or that I won't notice someone entitled waiting for the seat or that I notice only after I have got several rude stares from other passengers. But otherwise, if I have a well-earned seat, it can be a good time to tend to a variety of hobbies like reading, listening to music or playing games. Actually tending to hobbies, is the only way to go. Without a hobby one might find it difficult to 'pretend to sleep' because there is no head rest, or find it too boring to look at the lastest shoe and dress fashions, or awkward to stare into the eyes of the passengers sitting opposite or even more awkward to stare at the crotch of the passenger standing in front of you.

The only other career of mine that is flying off at the moment is Guitar Rock 2. I am now touring as a rock guitarist in glamorous places like New York, Miami, Detroit, Seattle, Los Angeles and even Japan. And I proudly admit that I am getting good with my touch screen-for-a-rock-guitar substitute instrument!

The picture below has kept me amused for awhile now. I think it might be because the one time I tried yoga in a crowded class, I felt exactly like the white/yellow kitty and didn't like it.

"This is why I like to be in the front row at yoga"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...