Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Borrowed from the Internet

I'm often amazed by how much information is out there on the Internet to be retrieved at the click of a button and at the convenience of not having to move even an inch from the seat.

Today, as I "enjoy" a day off work on medical leave and (unintentionally) keeping up with the last gloomy post, here is a very interesting TED Talk on our ideas of Death:


Here's a funny, yet powerful advertisement on a real social problem:


I face this on a daily basis while working in a construction site with hundreds of male foreign construction workers as I walk out to the public canteen for lunch or walk out to the bus. Not every worker does it, but most of them do. It is not restricted to one type of nationality, though some types are more prone to do it than others. My inherent nature of being hyper-sensitive to external social stimuli, makes the problem a deeply-felt one. It matters little if you are very attractive or not, conservatively dressed or scantily clad, with or without tattoos or piercings; but if you are a young female and a minority gender in the area, the chances of being stared at by certain groups of people increase exponentially.

While the work site is generally safe for female employees to work from any physical harm, the stares don't get any easier or lesser in incidence even after 1.5 years of being on the job. I have been forced to adapt to selective seeing (in other words, avoiding extended eye contact with any one human subject) and mentally blocking some of the anxiety it brings. I've also noticed that it helps greatly to have company going out to lunch as one's thoughts are less focused on the surroundings and more on the conversations at hand. And I suspect, from an evolutionary perspective, we feel safer and bolder being part of a "herd".

From the point of view of a starer, I think it is just a learned habit which most of them pay little attention to. They grow up in societies thinking it is a normal thing to do and are rarely challenged to re-think such habits or put themselves in the shoes of the people they affect, which is why the "mirror" in the advertisement creates a powerful impact. Also, it is not a punishable crime to stare so some take it as further as they can go without getting into trouble themselves.

Speaking of problems, the way some people learn to embrace their problems makes all the difference between achieving what they are capable of doing and achieving a lot less than that. The TED talk below also reminds that having the unwaivering support of family and friends to help us believe in ourselves can be a blessing.


4 comments:

  1. Hello from a house that finally has internet and a fridge! - Both of which we got last week and made everyone rather happy. (Prepare for comments)
    That woman in the last video is amazing. It's really comforting knowing that there are people as strong and socially aware as her out there in the world. You can't help but listen to what she has to say, and she says everything so well! I love it when people can discuss serious issues without making you want to curl up in a corner and despair over how narrow-minded people can be. Like you can make a difference, I guess. Without wanting to sound cheesy. :3 Thanks for sharing!
    Also, wow at that television commercial! My favourite is the woman on the train who just stares the guy down then puts on a pair of shades. Well played, Sister. Well played. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.O ALSO!!! I have a postcard from Sri Lanka! A postcard! From Sri Lanka! Hahaha, I feel like such a child, but it is actually ridiculously exciting to have received actual mail. :D
    Thanking you! I'm going to stick it to my wall with my postcard collection. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad to hear you are settled in your new house with food and internet!!! We wait anxiously to hear more.

    I was really touched by what she had to say and her positivity is very inspiring! While it's easy to be angry at people who make rude comments on the internet about people like her, it only reflects back on how empty and unfulfilling lives they must have to get pleasure from doing that type of thing, while she is living her life to the best and having fun doing it ;)

    I was a bit worried you would have missed the card with your move :D *ahem*, do update us with new addresses to guarantee more postcards in future :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahahaha! I will Facebook you. And request in advance that a new address be provided when you also relocate this year! :) Do you think you'll move mid year? Why will you be moving? Or did I imagine that piece of information and you're actually completely bemused by my certainty that you won't be staying much longer in your current house...? O.o I've been known to get details a little muddled at times. :3
    -I will stop rambling here for now. I think I'll go write a more contextually appropriate ramble of a Facebook message instead, so I don't overload your blog with not-entirely-relevant comments.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...