Sunday, August 27, 2017

I'm a super-absorbent sponge

This weekend I stayed back from going home. Now without the pressures of lectures and exams, I am free to roam around. The only way to hold me back it seems is to tie me to something, or else, off I go. 

The place I stay during the week is very conveniently located in a centralised location of the capital city. Because of this, I am able to participate in various events, that hardly happens in my hometown.

The appearance of migrant birds in Sri Lanka begins end of August and goes on until early April. Today, I joined a lecture on migrant birds, organised by a local birding club. I'm very new to birding. And to be honest, I was never fascinated with birds, but with exposure at the Jurong Bird Park in Singapore and observing various birds around my home garden, my opinions on birds have changed. Today was an introductory lecture and tomorrow off we go to a wetland park to see what birds we can observe. Fun. I am worried I'll oversleep and get left behind. 

I also did the mistake thinking it was a good idea to stick around for a second lecture on orchids. This lecture coincided with the lunch hour, so I was somewhat hungry and restless. The lecturer was so fascinated by orchids and was bouncing around the podium, but I unfortunately failed to be as fascinated as him. I suppose there will always be a divide between zoologists and botanists. I did learn so many new facts about orchids though. 

An Indian Pita - a common migrant in Sri Lanka
(Source: Wikipedia)


While searching for images of Pita birds, this image came up on the suggestions! Now I feel hungry. 
(Source: sfgate.com)


I also watched the Gandhi movie today. Gandhi is a truly interesting character and what he managed to achieve in his lifetime is mind-boggling. 

These are some of my favourite sayings of his:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”

“If we are to reach real peace in the world, we shall have to begin with the children.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...