Monday, August 8, 2011

Smart minds

Gym Timings
Open from 9:00am - 9:00pm, Saturday to Thursday*
Ladies:  9:00am - 11:00am, 4:00pm - 6:00pm (a total of 4 hours)
Men:    11:30am - 3:30pm, 6:30pm - 9:00pm (a total of 6.5 hours)

*The work week here is from Sunday to Thursday. Some unfortunate folk work on Saturday as part of a 6-day work week.

The above timings are the gym access hours in my residential building. At first glance, it can be inferred that this schedule must have been drafted by:

a) a man who thought that it was more important for men to workout than is it for the ladies. So in addition to longer hours, he also gives his "brothers" prime gym timings on all the days. OR,

b) a woman who was jealous of other working women - maybe because she has no access to a gym, or no time to hit the gym or she has little success with her own workouts. OR,

c) a computer program that generates random time sequences.

I work from 9:00am to 6:00pm on weekdays, and by this schedule, I cannot use the gym on a weekday. And if on Saturday morning (my off day) I happen to indulge in a few extra hours of sleep between 9:00am and 11:00am or happen to run some errands between 4:00pm and 6:00pm, then my chances of using the gym are entirely lost. Not that I care, but here I thought some common sense might be used when creating a schedule such as this.

Now I have found ways around this problem. I have spoken to the building keeper to open up the gym for me at 7:00am, when he does his cleaning rounds. Somedays when he happens to clean the gym at 7:00am, it is not available. But on the days I motivate myself to go one flight of stairs to the gym, which is about 4 days on a good month, I manage a 15-minute workout on one of the running machines and burn 98 calories a day. That is until my nemesis comes for his workout at 7:30am.  This annoying man, refusing to use the good hours allocated to his gender by the building management, prefers to encroach on my time. One day I found him sitting on a muscle building machine and chattering away on the phone. USE THE CORRIDOR DAMMIT. DONT HOG THE GYM IF YOU AREN'T USING IT.

________________________________________________________________________

Public Library Timings
8:00am - 9:00pm on weekdays
Closed on weekends.

I'll start of by saying, I am glad I can used the library on weekdays from 7:30pm to 8:40pm after work.

But what kind of library is closed on weekends? Isn't that when people (mostly working adults and school children) have the time to come and use library facilities? It seems the public library caters mostly to telecommuters, housewives/ househusbands, the unemployed, some school children, some university students and some people who work irregular shifts.

Today I find out that due to the month of fasting, libraries close at 5:30pm on weekdays. All flickering hopes of studying for an impending GRE exam have vanished. I am doomed.


Pictures courtesy of Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...