Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pre-Monday Blues

A rare three-day weekend comes to an end.

Yesterday, I dropped by the clinic to do a "pre-employment" medical check up. Mind, one month after commencing employment. The clinic was a very tiny place where all patients sat facing the reception. And I do not know why they all happened to be male that morning. In between was a narrow aisle. I met two of my male colleagues while waiting. They recognised me immediately and gave me a big smile, which I returned.

Soon, my name was called in and I was given a  plastic cup and a loud instruction, "Miss, here's your cup. Please come back with a urine sample. The toilet is down the aisle, to your left.When you are done, leave the sample here on the reception counter."

So I take the transparent plastic cup and go to harvest a sample. I walked back carefully holding my cup filled to the brim (they didn't tell me what volume they required) and placed it on the reception [BEHOLD, Shu's urine sample for all to see].What better way to break the ice with male colleagues than over pee samples and might I add, what a comfortable situation that was.

After the nurse took a couple of drops from it for the test, she announces again, "Miss, you can go and throw your urine sample already." So another awkward trip down the aisle, carrying my contents back to the toilet and disposing it.

Sheesh. I'm pretty sure in my past experiences with clinics, it was done with much more confidentiality.


In a poorly researched decision, I hiked to MacRitchie Reservoir this morning. The last time I went there about 5 years ago, not only was my picnic sandwich bag grabbed from my hands by a young fella like the one above but I also recall the hike was a lot shorter than the 12km it was! So I am inevitably drained today, wishing I had another day to rest. The place has not lost any of its beauty and serenity though. 








 Bumped into a little clouded monitor lizard. He seemed used to the presence of humans.

Insect pollinators - the unappreciated workers who work hard to bring us most of our food

A baby daycare! 

 The tree-top walk - a close encounter with the canopy ecosystem


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...