Saturday, December 15, 2012

Home Sweet Home


The holiday season is here. I am looking forward to the next two days home with the family, before I fly back to resume life and work.

I have been left behind at home by the family with instructions to straighten up the house, entertain any guests that visit and supervise a bunch of delivery guys who will be setting up a cupboard and some shelves. They (dad, mom, sis and nephew) have gallavanted off somewhere. I straighted up the house and while waiting for the family, expected guests and deliverymen to arrive, I sat down to write this blog in comfort and peace.

I've really missed blogging.

Tonight is the nephew's 5th year post-birthday celebrations with close friends and family. He's passing an Angry Birds phase so it's not hard to guess what tonight's theme is - Angry Birds cake, Angry Birds birthday suit, Mom in an Angry Birds t-shirt and Aunt (that would be me) in an Angry Birds t-shirt. I doubt we'll have time to blow up any balloons today.



After a rather pleasant 3.5 hour flight, I landed home late last night. It's been an year since my last visit and even longer since all four members of my family reunited at the same time and same place. So much has changed. I relocated and is in a new job, my sister is an optimistic entrepreneur, my parents are older and my nephew taller. I've missed the little chap and it was a bonus seeing his thrilled expression this morning when he saw me.

The last day of work before my mini-holiday was somewhat eventful. In a random conversation with my boss, I found out he is a big fan of Queen (the rock band). Omitting details of how I feel about this band, I'll just say that he was immediately awarded the honour of "The Coolest Boss on Shu's Planet, Ever".

I also had to manage a case of smelly shoes at work. It's not just my shoes - clothes, dogs and even Ginger was smelling funny the last time I met her. Without strong sunshine to dry up moisture left behind from these rainy days, things can get mouldy very quickly. I had to improvise to avoid an embarassing day at work, so I ran down to the convenience store and bought a wad of car air freshner, cut it up to small squares and stuffed them inside my shoes. Little did I expect to smell like a brand new car while walking around the office. Oh well. Better that than be remembered as Smelly Shu.

After an year of anticipation, I watched The Hobbit at the cinemas last 13th. It was EPIC. I loved every bit of it. And I would love to visit New Zealand some day.

Gotta go, we have a party to host!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...