Tuesday, March 12, 2013

After a brief hiatus

Hello everyone!

Since my system has not downloaded its thoughts into writing in a long while, be warned, this post may not make much sense.

Psychology is perhaps a great choice of study. Even without generous research grants, laboratories or guinea pigs, plenty of field studies and theories can be formulated by just quietly looking around.

Social formalities can be confusing sometimes. There are hugs only and one-cheeked kisses and two-cheeked kisses and loud ones and quiet ones and ones inclusive of a hug and even "sniff" kisses where I come from. Basically, elderly people just sniff your cheeks and no one seems to question why it's done. But yeah, sometimes, Shuri gets all confused in the moment with these various options and ends up thinking later "Oh, I should have done this instead of that!"

In a moment of vain curiosity, Shu decided that curls would be an interesting change to her otherwise messy hair. She reasoned that getting curls through a salon would mean that the hair would be a "uniform mess" as opposed Shu's natural hair which is a "non-uniform mess". After braving through nearly two hours of chemical exposure and heat *shudders*, she was given a tutorial on how to maintain these curls. But she forgot most of it by the time she reached home and the next day she went to work as usual after a shower to realise that in place of the curls that were there on the head when she left the salon, was an afro! Slowly, she's learning to manage things with the techniques taught by the hairstylist.

Shu, you stupid girl.

Many weeks ago, two of my childhood buddies and their mother visited Singapore, while my mother was visiting me as well. My mother was practically their mother too, since we all grew up like siblings in the same house from the time we were aged 7 to around 18! So meeting them after goodness knows how many long years, was like a family reunion and it was really fun! Ahhhhh... we laughed and talked so much while visiting all the famous attractions of Singapore.

I even hosted a dinner party for my closest friends while my mother was here (something I rarely do)! I had many panic attacks, wondering how Friend X from Star Z on universe B would get along with Friend F from Planet T in Nebula K or what they would talk with Friend A from Constellation Q on Cluster V. But it turns out, humans are generally sociable creatures, and I worried for nothing (as usual).

Incidentally, I had a good three weeks with my mother and I think we were both able to mend the bonds that were somewhat strained by the long years apart. I do miss her and the family often.

My typical month has four types of weeks:
Week 1 - gets paid - lives like Royalty
Week 2 - lives like an average white collar worker
Week 3 - lives like a peasant
Week 4 - lives like a beggar

And the cycle repeats itself.

I'm coming down with a flu bug, so I'd better stop rambling and go sleep.




2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Shu's back!! Your prolonged absence was starting to grow concerning. Glad to hear that everything was okay. :D :D
    Haha, definitely get what you mean about social greeting/hugging! So much brainpower required to determine appropriate affection and familiarity! :)
    And as for your monthly financial routine... I hear ya. Week one I convince myself I can afford copious amounts of take-away Thai food, and $30 on a joke involving my housemate's bedroom and several expensive plastic cats. Week four and I'm suddenly without anything even remotely edible, and all the bills need to be paid late. (Hence, the quest for a second job continues...) :)
    Anyhow, glad you're back!! Happy blogging/working/living etcetera! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloooo Kate!! It's always a happy surprise to see your comments! :D

    Oooh I love Thai food too. But yeah...week 4 is the worst and somehow it seems that no matter how little or a lot you earn, the wants and needs match up to it ALL THE TIME. Like if I have a dollar bill in my wallet, it vanishes in no time... it's almost like a curse...
    Was the $30 for all the balloons you filled up in your housemate's room?? :D I thought that was a neat idea and I'm sure the reaction was priceless! Or did you manage to come up with another brilliant idea??

    Well, all the best with that second job, or better yet with an upgrade on the first job!
    Thank you for dropping by...you take care and have a good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...