Sunday, June 16, 2013

Midway through 2013

It's 33 degrees Celsius in sunny Singapore!

Today I met a whiny cab driver on my way to work early on a Sunday morning. I don't know the nature of his issues, but he was far, far away from things like contentment, gratitude or hope. He grumbled all the way about his general dissatisfaction of external circumstances that he could not change. What we don't realise after we've worked ourselves to such a state of mind, is that we also bring down everyone else around us. It becomes far more easier to complain and wallow in self pity than to kick oneself and take control. I tried, mostly in vain, to give him a bit of perspective, to help him see beyond his convictions to conditions of those who are far worse. It's hard to convince people who think that the grass is greener on the other side, or in his case, that he was living in the worst country in the world.

I wonder if this image would have helped

I stumbled on a terrific website called diagram.ly to draw process flow charts. I went from being a "noob" to an "expert" in half an hour, thanks to its little video tutorial in the help section. It doesn't require any installation, it's very user-friendly and it's free! All it takes is dragging and dropping shapes and arrows, giving some colour, typing the text and saving to a file format of choice. I had a minor heart attack midway into the assignment wondering how I'll edit the flow chart later after I've closed the browser. Thankfully, they had it covered too.

Here's further proof that flow charts of any type now no longer require expert services. It's not the best example for a flow chart, but if I post work files here, I may get fired.



Look at that! My whole life in a simple flow chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...