Friday, October 11, 2013

Good things

It's Friday, I'm thrilled for no particular reason and I'm in the mood for a post!

When I'm high in spirits, I tend to notice more of the good things that happen around me (and vice versa too). Like today, I was invited to a mini birthday celebration at work from a Project I don't even work in and treated to lunch by the good will of another person. Then I noticed that the friendly bus driver of a bus I take regularly greeted everyone one with a smile and he got the same reaction from most of them. Some even stopped to make mini conversations with him because he had an air of friendliness and helpfulness about him. Then I realised that in Singapore there is hardly a cop to be seen on the road and yet people behave in ways that are beneficial to them and others as they share a very small land space in close vicinity. It is amazing to think how a good intention of someone, even small, can have a ripple effect affecting several others.

Lately, I have noticed the posters below stuck in buses, trains and stations in Singapore. On digging up information about these curious posters, I learnt that the Land Transport Authority came up with the idea as part of the Graciousness Programme 2013 campaign. I must admit they've had a positive impact on me. I can't be sure if it is because it is unique (I have never seen this type of simplistic art style on a national level campaign in my time here) or if it is the powerful one-liners at the bottom that makes you question yourself loudly, but I like them and it is not often that I appreciate advertisements here.

This is my favourite one of the lot. The first time I saw these penguins asking me if I feel the same way, I wanted to shout a big "YES, I DO!" inside the train station. It's a good thing I have well functioning internal brakes that stop me from making an ass of myself.




2 comments:

  1. Queensland Rail has something similar! The tagline is 'Super Simple Stuff' and it's meant to read like a kids' story.
    http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/AboutUs/MediaCentre/Campaigns/PublishingImages/city-network-etiquette_content-200x150.jpg

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bgwIvXr8-TE/T-husZPa-RI/AAAAAAAAIjQ/liFtIVSSJYY/s1600/queensland-rail_train-etiquette_jen.jpg

    And eventually, because the internet is an interesting place, people turned the posters into memes. Some are pretty awful, but this one's not so bad. :)

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y8rL9MVCMKs/T-hvBX6JSzI/AAAAAAAAIkA/q0RRfr2X5IE/s1600/enhanced-buzz-3256-1340325279-3.jpeg

    I'm such a child... :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA OMG I like that last one!!! Aren't some people really clever and creative!

    Oh no, Kate, what have you done?? Fart jokes make me hysterical and it is nearly midnight.

    ReplyDelete

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...