Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Voices in the head

Recently, my company introduced a scheme where late comers have their wages docked. It's proven to be very effective so far. I have begun to notice my consistent punctuality in the mornings.

The conversations in my head in the mornings no longer go like this:

VOICE 1: Ah crap. It's the alarm.
*hits snooze* x several times
VOICE 2: Ok, now it is really time to get up and catch your bus.
VOICE 1: Can't we catch a cab just for today??
VOICE 2: NO. It is expensive (not to mention environmentally unfriendly).
VOICE 1: Screw you. *rolls over and sleeps a few minutes more*

Instead, they go:

VOICE 1: Ah crap. It's the alarm.
*hits snooze* x several times
VOICE 2: Ok, now it is really time to get up and catch your bus or you will have your pay docked and have to pay for a cab.
VOICE 1: GAH. *rolls out of bed*

Interestingly enough, my 17 minute segment of the train commute coincides with Singapore's sunrise. Watching the sunrise gives a renewed sense of hope. Today, I couldn't help myself think, "Mr Sun, you have been rising and shining for us everyday for the last 4.5 billion years, without so much as a holiday. I suppose I can't complain much about my work."

Flattery and flirtations seem to have the opposite effect on me. They are not met with the reaction the flatterer/ flirter expects.

Shu's automatic response to flattery and unwelcome flirtations.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my god Shu. You are determined to make me laugh today. FINALLY! Someone who understands the weird affect that flattery can have! I feel like such a terrible person on those (very rare) occasions when a guy tries to be flirty and I shut them down with short answers until they realise that clever small talk is not my thing. But since clever small talk seems to be everyone else's thing, they don't know what else to do so they make a hasty retreat and I can get back to whatever I thought was more enjoyable than small talk, which was probably staring at clouds. Grumpy cat meme. Perfect.
    And three cheers for the snooze button! Everyone's best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being somewhat flatter-proof and flirt-proof poses a lot of problems on the subject of dating! It baffles me a lot too, that nearly everyone else is okay with it. It seems that an honest, earth-bound conversation is too much to ask when trying to form first impressions of a potential partner candidate o_O

    ReplyDelete

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...