Friday, December 16, 2011

RIP Little Turtle

RIP little turtle. I regret my decision (with good intentions) to pull you off the seemingly unfriendly conditions of a pet shop and put you in a loving home with another turtle. I'm deeply sorry I couldn't understand your physical needs properly and it resulted in a slow and painful death for you.

The second half of this year has seen several guests coming to this house for long stay. Last week, came a domestic helper or in common terms, a "maid". The idea was to have someone who can watch the 4-year old so that the mother, after 4 years of being by his side, can start looking for career opportunities and have a guilt-free social life that doesn't affect other adults of the house. A good move, I think.

The first impressions of the new guest are that she is quite efficient in her work and with a pleasant personality. It'll take awhile for all of us to get used to each other's personalities (eccentricities included). She seemed awfully bored and sad the first few days. I once got her a newspaper in her native language and that helped to boost her mood a little. Then I noticed she likes to talk about her family and background with anyone who would listen. She is making progress, she's already done a lot of little things round the house to make it organised. I must admit I feel ashamed to have someone do some of my work like doing the laundry. But here's the thing, by the time I get around to doing it, she's already done it. Not cool. Got to admire these people who venture out of their homes, leaving behind their families (mostly losing them in the process of being overseas for extended periods of time) to earn and give them a better life. Some unlucky ones undergo unspeakable difficulties and injustice in the hands of cruel employers. Life is not always nice to everyone.

Also, as a result of having a plus one in the house, I have have been displaced and have come to share a room with my nephew. He seems to like having me around (I asked). Now my belongings are scattered all over the house and I find it terribly inconvenient to look for things, especially in the mornings before going to work.

Now I'm off to watch Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 4, which has some scenes shot in my very own neighbourhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...