Friday, January 20, 2012

Rediscovering humanity


Today, I have my first real day of relaxation at home for the year 2012. I have refused to partake in any family events, chartered services or social events in hopes that I can blog and think about how I want to spend the rest of this year.

Let me get my thoughts aligned and archived up to speed since the last blog.

Driving through the countrysides. Balangoda, Sri Lanka

I had a very eventful and pleasant holiday back home despite the fact that I was always on the run and barely home. Holidays home are mostly about giving your parents a chance dote on you, fulfilling obligations to one's blood line, re-kindling old friendships, doing a little sight seeing (if time permits) and then enjoying the satisfaction of having achieved these. Relaxing in one's home country is not an option. Plans to read a couple of books and intentions to complete my memoirs on Nepal were utterly futile.

Jaffna Peninsula, Sri Lanka

Being away from my country, culture and society for nearly 8 years, I have begun to like living in a open minded society where sectarian and negatively-affecting conservative beliefs are to a minimum (or at least they are not openly expressed, thereby reducing barriers for interaction and forming bonds). Part of my resolution before the trip home was to be patient, less cynical and open minded to what I was about to experience. I think this mentality helped a great deal with the events that took place for the 3 weeks I was home and at times, made me see a side of that society my usual bias would not have permitted. I was touched on several occasions by the humanity displayed by the people there, which is not very apparent in people living in 'more developed' countries.

Views from atop Adam's Peak (2243m above sea level), Sri Lanka

I'll admit to feeling a bit intoxicated on life these days, mostly with the freedom, fortune, distractions and joys of youth. So much change has happened, is happening that I feel like I have stepped into the heart of a cyclone of mental states. In the midst of this unrest of mind, I have to strive to find myself and pin my priorities in place. That, is my new year resolution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...