Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Wedding

Sometime ago in December 2009, Katy Kat wrote to me:

"Well for me, the biggest news is the engagement *blush*.... It was the 21st (our 4 yrs and 11 month anniversary) so he said lets go have a picnic in St James park which is the park surrounding Buckingham Palace. So we bought our food (French fries and kebabs) and took the train there. Then when we got to the park i told him if u see a free bench grab it and at that moment i saw a free bench. So i said "Go grab it" And this fellow was lagging behind. So i got really irritated and said something like "What on earth are u doing child?" and turned around to see him on one knee with a ring!! :) Yes i almost dropped Then i realised everybody was starring and so before he could even ask the question i said YES. LOL. Then he insisted on asking the official question and we had about 20 spectators waiting to see if i said yes. The embarrasment! Then we sat down and ate our food :) "

A  few weeks later in January 2010, I said yes to Katy Kat when she asked if I would be one of her bridesmaids. Despite my initial anxieties over crowds, public appearances, heavy make-up and high heels, I was pretty excited when asked because 1) I was touched she thought of me for the occasion 2) It was my first time being a bridesmaid and, 3) Means I had the perfect excuse to give my mother and put off any wedding proposals because bridemaids can't be married! (that, I'm kidding).


Last week, she got married to her long time sweetheart and I was thrilled to be there to witness this joyful occasion. I got to spend several days with the couple, her family and their friends, getting to know new people, planning out a Hen Party for the Bride, observing how her mum worked on the wedding decorations and getting special treatment as part of the couple's retinue. During that time, Shu the "party animal" hit three clubs in five days - that will go down as a record.

I must say Bridezilla was surprisingly calm and in control in the days leading to the wedding, even when others around her were freaking out! ;) She's a rock in disguise, that girl. The wedding day went as perfectly as a wedding can go, thanks to several months of careful planning and preparation. The Bride looked stunningly gorgeous in her dress and the couple looked wonderful together. The church and ballroom decorations were beautifully done and the church ceremony was livened by a talented choir. Her mum had been planning and preparing for the wedding decorations years ago and it was really impressive to see the amount of thought, detail, time, creativity and dedication that went into making the "Beach + Seashells" themed decorations. The couple was surrounded by the positive energy of many good long-term friends and it was nice to see them all come together to make the event memorable. I was teamed up with the groomsman who looked like the Asian twin of Tom Welling (Clark Kent in Smallville) so I had nothing to complain about, really. And my family was very pleased that I had to dress up like a girly girl for a change.

Thanks Mrs Katy Kat, I took away a bunch of sweet memories from the experience. I wish you and your OH all the best in the journey you'll take together!

1 comment:

  1. Aww am so touched my dear Shu. Glad u had a good time and my calmness was due to the fact that u helped so much! Can't wait to help with your wedding ;)

    ReplyDelete

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...