Monday, June 23, 2014

New arrivals

I was quite inspired by Serena Dyer's article on "What I Know Now at 29", mostly because it was very relatable. With age, experience and knowing oneself better comes many realisations about Life. It may not be the ultimate wisdom, but there's a sense of confidence in knowing that whatever happens, it's going to be okay.

"I know now, as I enter my 29th turn around the sun, my final year in the decade of my 20s, that who I am is someone I love, and there is no shame or fear in admitting that."

Her analogy of the Sun jumped right out of the screen and brought to mind a carefree Shu with a blue backpack ready to start her own 29th orbit around our glorious Sun.


Kind of like this image from E.T.

~ ~ ~ 

The office transport bus that I take is driven by an old uncle. He's a little older than my father and we've become good friends since I'm usually the only one to take the bus in the evenings. We mostly talk about politics, rising costs of living, my food options, his family, traffic, weather, jobs and retirement. For most elderly persons living in Singapore, the bliss of retirement is not what the average elderly person in other countries may experience. Instead of gardening and relaxing on the porch with a newspaper each morning, they often work in canteens cleaning up after others or baby sit their grandchildren full time or like this uncle, work normal working hours for 6 days a week. On the other hand, these people also appear more independent and resilient both mentally and physically compared to elders back home. And this uncle in particular is still with a positive work attitude and speaks of his wife very fondly.

~ ~ ~

Oh. I nearly forgot to introduce these new faces! They grow up so fast.

 
Before...


And after...


And now, at 2 months old! My parents have taken up their grandparent duties very seriously and tell me these kittens act more like hyperactive monkeys. 


I look forward to meeting the whole bunch next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...