Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The little things that matter

In the past few weeks, I've lost my inner voice, I've lost the joy in doing most of the things I usually enjoy doing, I've not been the best kind of friend or family member I could be, I haven't been the diligent employee I could be, I've failed as this year's leader of the zoo volunteer group, I've failed as an aspiring speaker, I've been losing bits of my self worth and I've been reduced to thinking that it' okay to trade it off for overpriced items. 

But,  no phase - good or bad - lasts forever. Today feels like a day that I managed to scramble out of a soup bowl of emotional turmoil. As I sit here on the brim of this bowl, I can see a little further than what I was seeing in the gloomy weeks that passed. I'm going to enjoy the view while the skies are clear and what better way to do it than with a blog post!

One of my childhood friends shared this photo today and reminded me that she missed the good old days of our rather extraordinary childhood. It warmed me very much. 

Sometimes we become too occupied with ourselves and others that the little things that really matter pass under our noses for granted.

Last weekend I visited a dear friend of mine in Malaysia who used to work with me in Dubai. She drove out alone to pick me from an abandoned bus stop at 1:30am in the morning and gave the best hospitality I can imagine. Today my mother out of her own accord took the pains to walk around in town and find me a beautiful traditional dress for an upcoming cultural event. And as I stayed late at work today, I was touched by the caring gestures of my group of hang-out colleagues who I've grown quite fond of. Not only that, today I had a lovely postcard from Katy Kat all the way from Tokyo!!

On a separate note, my mother has discovered the joys of making very affordable international calls with Viber so I get to hear from her more often! It's good to see them getting tech-savvy.

In other news, I caught the movie Maleficient. It reminded me of the book on Sleeping Beauty I used to own and glance through a lot in my younger days. I liked the fact that they portrayed Maleficient as an ordinary human being capable of both good and bad. No one is entirely bad or entirely good and the boundaries that angels and demons within us share are often blurred by the circumstances that life throws at us.

Signing out from the soup bowl,
Shu

PS: If I ever compare you to the likes of an animal, don't take offense because it really is a compliment coming from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...