Monday, July 11, 2011

The Cultural Divide

They say people learn from mistakes. Sometimes it takes more than one mistake of the same type to learn.

This morning didn't start so wonderfully. For one thing, I lost my frameless spectacles while touring. So I wore my geeky black framed spare pair from University to work. I'm a self-diagnosed sociophobe but even that didn't have anything to do with the way people kept looking at my eyes when talking to me. It would have been a lot more unnerving to me if I attached a "SPARE SPECS" tag to the frame for those who wondered about it. So yeah, back to the point. I was called to a pre-audit meeting on very short notice. I was the last to enter the room, where the external auditor was introducing himself. I walked in with a jolly mood and extended my hand after introducing myself. Again, I caught several people staring at me ("Must be the specs, I thought"). He then passed on his business card to everyone present. Halfway through the meeting it hit me! This man was a Muslim, and I am in a Muslim country, 'Men species' and 'Women species' associate with much caution, and women NEVER initiate a handshake. I felt faint everytime I remembered it. Oh well. It isn't even the first time this happened! I'm pretty sure I got rejected from an interview when I went and extended my hand to a Muslim interviewer at the beginning of it. I distinctly saw that he was shaken after it. What to do? Even if one finds such small things ridiculous because of a different upbringing, one must respect the traditions in a country where one is merely a guest.

Facebook is an endless source of entertainment. Today I saw someone leave a comment on a friend's picture of her (adorable) pet guinea pig: "What breed of dog is this???"

Last weekend, I had a fantastic (unplanned) cruise along the beautiful of fjords of Oman. Details of this trip will have to be recorded later, when I have photographic evidence.

Also received a touching message from a junior today, which completed my day:

Happy birthday! Hope you have a really good one :):)
by the way, it's my graduation ceremony today! so happy that I'm successfully done with it! thanks so much for all the support you gave me at the start of university! really appreciate it all :D:D


Never thought I'd post a clip from a game like this on my blog, but here it is, beautiful and worthy of admiration.

Presenting....Alice (from a wicked Wonderland)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...