Saturday, July 16, 2011

The kid

I feel like a bad, selfish parent. I shy away from being asked to feed or watch over the kid because it inconveniences me. I mostly turn down his requests to come play with him either because I am tired, busy or lazy. I ignore his long list of "Why" questions or reply somewhat impatiently because he never seems to stop asking them. I promise to take him out on another day, when I have to go out with my friends and he tells me he wants to come too (most often, the promises are not kept). And just yesterday, on a gulity conscience, I bought him two toys (a kaleidoscope and a mini-pin ball game) to "make up" for not being the best aunt (when a few blogs ago, I criticised parents for attempting to "buy affection").

The funny thing is that, he doesn't even have to tell me how he wished I spent more time with him. His bright and forgiving face stands as a painful reminder of how selfish I am sometimes. All kids are helpless like that, however much the elders ignore, punish or ill-treat them, they run right back to them to feel secure.

So no, parenthood is not one to be taken lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...