Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What good are your ideas, if you won't share them?

It's been an exciting day overall.

At work, I got picked as a co-editor to initiate a department newsletter (a great suggestion from someone else). Recently, they have been trying to involve the staff and get them to share good ideas in line with the Company's core values. It was a great initiative which saw many brilliant ideas come out from seemingly dull, robotic people. The effect of just two sessions of department meetings to discuss the team's ideas have turned out rather remarkable. The team has bonded, they are more comfortable around each other and watch out for each other. The quieter ones with insecurities, particularly with communication, have taken their first steps in overcoming these weakness.

So back to the newsletter. I had some experience with gathering small articles and supervising the different stages of a quarterly newsletter in my previous job. I didn't know I enjoyed so much, until today when I found myself scribbling away the layout of a 4-paged newsletter in a matter of 20 minutes. And we were given 3 weeks to complete this task. Of course, it will be subjected to the opinions and criticisms of various persons. But I can't wait to get this rolling! Actually, I am a bit too free at work these days, through no fault of mine. So anything that diverts from the usual workload gets me excited!

Without my Bumblebee, I now have to rely on taxis and the generous offers of family and co-workers for lifts. It has brought me back to a world I was not in touch with for a long time. I walk outdoors more, I observe people on the road more and might I add, I am more relaxed during my trip home. Driving is a stressful activity requiring alertness at all times, to make sure everyone being transported reaches home safely. I'm even considering trying out the bus one of these days! Thinking back, I can't believe my mother let me go alone on a public bus in my home country when I was aged 11. I had to beg her to let me do it, and she did take the chance and in doing so, planted the first seeds of independence in my head.

I was thrilled to finally have the blog address of one of my friends! Now, all 3 of you lovely people, the only followers of my humble blog, are bloggers!!!! And another friend, who I have been nagging to blog for over an year, joked that I have started a cult. No doubt I am eager to get inside the heads of my friends (not meaning to sound creepy), but the real reason I hound this is because I have so much confidence in your writing abilities and you all are good human beings with good things to teach the world and because I know it will bring you joy to have an outlet for creativity and imagination.

Today, I proved to myself that the working lady of the 21st century, while making traditional dosas out of an instant mixture, can chat with her friends on MSN Messenger/ Whatsapp, social network on Facebook/ LinkedIn, tend to her emails and catch up with her family at the same time. What she forgot was to keep count of the number of dosas she was eating and ended up feeling too stuffed after!

1 comment:

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...