Monday, February 27, 2012

The LOL syndrome


"LOL" -  "laughing out loud" or "laugh out loud" -  is a very commonly used abbreviation these days. Even I struggle to limit its usage and use the term in a genuine manner for when I'm actually laughing out loud. The term has somewhat become a convenient word to replace fullstops, exclamation marks and for use as a sentence ending, even when one is not necessarily laughing out loud.

Ever so often you meet people who have clearly gone overboard and complicates the process of communication. Like this sms message I got today:

"Lol as much as am sad to say it but tomorrow am starting work again :( lol so see you tmr" [Shu: how does one use :( and lol next to each other??]

I have also met others who use the term 'lol' in very wrong context. Below are some closely-resembling examples:

My cat died lol.
I just hit a pedestrian lol.
The doc says I got 2 months to live lol.


Am I missing something here?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...