Thursday, February 23, 2012

PINK

I've been tech savy this week. Thanks to the great minds behind Nokia, I got a free upgrade of the operating system in my phone. This new OS favours more personalisation, it is quite user friendly, very easy on the eyes and it's got some cool new features like NFC and Microsoft Lync. The icons and backgrounds look so much prettier now, that I feel like I have a new phone suddenly. So I have spent a significant amount of time this week personalising my phone and getting new and useful applications.

I thought I'd mention this peculiar application in the blog. It's called "The Period" (read on, don't roll eyes yet). My first reaction when I saw it was "What?? That's ridiculous!", but then a wise friend said it might be useful for me. Actually, it is ideal. I have a disorder resulting in irregular cycles (the joys of being female) and my doctor had asked me to record all dates and durations of my cycle. Previously, I would record it in my diary the old fashioned way. But this application has taken record keeping to a new level. Apart from the records, the application predicts when the next expected date is, how many days left, where in the menstrual cycle I am now - these being the features useful to me. Then it also tells when I ovulate, when I should get busy if I wanted to get pregnant, days which have a higher probability of conceiving boys or girls (that, I'm skeptical) - these being the useless features to me. The developers had also given an email address for any feedback. I was thinking of telling them to include a random alert to make the user aware of: "PMS zone approaching, please try to stay away from loved ones and warn them of expected disturbances in your behaviour".

Google images was only able to provide a picture of an iphone version of it. The one in the Nokia store looks very similar. 

So the lesson to take away from all that is not to be too quick to jump into judgements and conclusions. Like this morning another friend told me that she happened to observe a couple of girls in a club reduce to tears when the David Guetta ft. Usher song "Without You" played. I was quick to judge and say with much sarcasm "Oh they must have had their menstrual cycles in sync". Later though, I thought maybe there were other reasons for their behaviour that we would not have known, like a sad farewell perhaps. 

Another interesting thing happened today. I had been expecting a card from Singapore. It was unusual for a card to take 3 weeks in the post. I had almost given it up for a lost mail when it arrived today (to my joy), in good condition AND with an explanation for the delay. The letter had a stamp on it which read;

 SAUDI POST
MISS SENT TO SAUDI ARABIA
(when it was rightly addressed to arrive in the UAE)

The way I see it, the postal service is a love or hate thing. Only a few friends I know use it. It is a hassle to go buy stamps and envelopes, write old fashioned post cards/ letters/ cards, find post boxes to drop them in, wait for weeks till the recipient receives it and then wait many more weeks for the recipient to get back to you. There is a chance your item might be lost in transit or take a longer route like what happened to my card! And all this can be avoided by embracing newer and faster advances technology like courier, email, mms, instant messaging, VOIP etc. Yet, some of us want to keep the postal service from shutting down for good. 

I'll admit, I was once crazy over this song. Heck, freaky Shu still loves it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...