Sunday, June 10, 2012

The aftermath of "Pride and Prejudice"


When I typed my last post, I was halfway through my latest read, Pride and Prejudice. And that was BEFORE reading Mr Darcy's letter. Since then, I spent 7 hours reading the rest of the book till the end (separated only by a night's sleep). I'm mostly lost for words to describe what an epic read that was for me (it also stands to remind me how little I have ventured to read). After taking readers through much drama and happy coincidences, things conclude satisfactorily. I was grinning after reading the last page.

Now, I want to watch the movie. The last time I watched it many years back, I wasn't impressed.

The first edition cover from the year 1813!

Elizabeth's fearless character and opinions, Mr Darcy's transformation after falling in love with Elizabeth and turning out to be quite the honorable and admirable gentleman, Mr Bingley and Jane's romance surviving the test of time and many obstacles and the friendship Elizabeth and Jane share were endearing. Even Elizabeth's and Mr Darcy's romance, being a gradual, pained and controlled one (as opposed to "out of control-tongues down the throats-tearing off clothes-and flying into bed on the second day" types) was a refreshing change, giving the reader time to observe and savour the build up. The story was also made colourful by characters with unpleasant personalities such as Mr Collins, Mrs Bennet, Caroline Bingley and Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Mr Collins remained an oblivious brag and a kiss-ass throughout. Mrs Bennet is a social disaster and an embarrassment to all women-kind (perhaps even deserving some forgiveness for being a typical mother). Caroline Bingley's flattery and manipulations might have worked on most men, but not on Mr Darcy's intelligent and observant character. Another unforgettable scene is Elizabeth's bold exchange of words with Lady Catherine when she comes over to dissuade her from being engaged to Mr Darcy (YOU GO GIRL!).

Though the various characters are set in their ways, at times, I felt moments of connection with more than one character for the ways they thought or acted. Somewhat like having a mirror shoved in my face. What better way to be made aware of one's own personality flaws?!

I finally purchased my first loaf of chocolate bread since my relocation to Singapore - an ingenious creation. It appears the loaf has experienced negative growth vertically from what I last remember. Oh well, in the absence of real chocolate cake, this is the best alternative to random cravings.

My precioussss *drool*


I stumbled upon an old favourite song of mine by MIKA. With pianos, tap dancing tunes, rock guitars, amazing props, drums, a singer who's got an amazing vocal range, a bit of theatrical performance, and everyone enjoying themselves in the video - all squeezed into just a little over 3 minutes - it's definitely a catchy hit! (Is that dust on "Grace Kelly's" dress?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...