Monday, June 4, 2012

Bits n pieces

Mediocrity is a defeating attitude. It's like a dulling of the senses and thoughts. It stunts growth.

After 1.5 weeks of looking out of my window into the park just outside, I finally decided to explore it. It's a nice little niche hidden in a corner of a forest of residential apartments. Several large rain forest-type trees and shrubs surround a few low cost gym equipment meant mostly for elderly folk. I noticed the trees attract several types of birds during the day. I also found it amusing that one of the benches in the park was still in the home wi-fi range.

Cooking is an art. It requires certain skills like creativity, greediness and an overdeveloped sense of smell and taste. And like with most types of arts, it requires practice and patience to master it. I have been forced to rediscover my cooking abilities, out of lack of convenient and vegetarian food in the area. I am not even half the chef I'd like to be, but my food tastes (to me) better than anything I can find here usually. It's funny how I have happily shed bits and pieces of my culture over the years, yet remain strongly and increasingly attached to my traditional cuisine. I dream of the day that I have a kitchen to experiment with food to my heart's content!

*sob*  I miss home

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid" (the movie) was BRILLIANT. I watched it twice. And I just learned there is also a second movie. Which rock was I living under while TWO of these movies came out??

I have an orange coloured neighbour next door. Her name's Ginger. She loves to visit us when the the door is open and get a 15-20 minute shower of attention by rolling on the floor and giving our jeans a layer of fur with all that rubbing.

The act is convincing, but I try not to fall for those big eyes asking for cat food at odd hours. 

The other day, I visited the Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research for an arranged tour. Though the place is rather small for a natural museum, they have a pretty impressive exhibit of animal and plant specimens. I was told they have many more specimens locked in cupboards in labs due to the lack of space. The good news for these specimens is that in 2014, there will be a new Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum, built next to the University Cultural Centre. The proposed multi-storey building will resemble a giant rock from the outside and will house, not one, but THREE dinosaur (diplodocid) exhibits!! That's pretty cool! Sources have also revealed that the dinos are already in Singapore, just waiting to be assembled when the new building is up! I can't wait to visit the new museum in 2014!

I love Adam Levine's voice (plus my favourite line in the song is "All those fairytales are full of shit"!).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...