Monday, June 25, 2012

The Animal Whisperer

Today, I attended the most enjoyable interview of my short-lived life.

It's not that I feel confident of getting the job (I really don't, given the statistics), but I just tasted what an interview for a "dream job" meant to be like. For the first time in my life, I was myself and fought for myself in an interview and was left feeling even more energized to fight again, if I had to. So that in itself is a small victory. Actually getting the job, would be a definite plus!

I didn't go with much hopes this morning. I woke up late, did a little bit of rushed internet research on the organisation, the new project and the job, didn't make the best effort at dressing up (I let my natural messy hair be instead of getting a temporary 'straight look' at a saloon like I usually do for interviews**), got late and had to catch a cab. It's not that the job prospect didn't excite me. The top position I was eyeing on (administration + conservation efforts related) required Mandarin as a pre-requisite so I knew I had nearly zero chances with negotiating on that one. Also, it was a job fair where hundreds of hopefuls walked in and mass interviews were conducted on site. And today was only day one of this two-day fair.

After registration and joining the long queues of applicants, we were told that we can only pick one position of choice to be interviewed for. Seeing my chances for the (safe) first choice being non-existent, I went with the second one. My second position of choice was the actual "dream job" (working closely with animals) - why second? because we all know those types come with big sacrifices and compromises. During my long wait to be called in, I had plenty of time to think back on why I wanted this job. Really, it wasn't that hard for someone who's very first ambition was to be a vet and still loves animals and the great outdoors. One of the interviewers was an easy going guy who appeared to be very passionate about the field so I suppose the conversations were easier and enjoyable.

**Most ordinary job interviews are so restrictive, aren't they? The internet is full of advice on how to dress at the interview, what to say, what not to say, what to expect, what the interviewers want to hear, see, etc. The picture it paints is "Apart from your credentials, the job prefers certain stereotypes over others, so if you are a little different, buck up and get in line with the rest or risk losing the job". So nearly everyone dresses alike (even if they don't like excessive make-up or heels or chemically re-bonded/ permed hair), learns the same model answers (for what their weaknesses or career ambitions are) and tell everything an interviewer likes to hear (like being an extrovert or love working in teams or is fine with working extra long hours). Goodness, if I were an interviewer, I might be sick of interviewing what appears to be programmed clones. All that said, interviews are too short to get to know and judge a candidate fairly so appearances and words uttered account for a lot. And not everyone has the luxury to apply to and interview for ideal jobs.

Urgh. Some jack-ass spoilt it for all us bubble tea lovers 


While digging up on Pink Dot SG spotted on a friend's Facebook profile, I came across this incredibly moving speech given by the recipient of this year's "Humanist of the Year 2012" award (presented by the Humanist Society of Singapore). This speech not only gives a different light to the major topic at hand, it also emphasizes how much more tolerance and acceptance we need to develop for the many, many types of differences that exist in our society today. On a positive note, I can see that society is (slowly) moving in a forward direction towards equality in human rights, thanks to the internet and those who dare to take action.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Privilege

Not all of us are born to the same circumstances. There will always be differences in social status, which is determined by factors such as ...